Monday, November 14, 2011

Current Projects

Winterfest is coming! So I'm churning out scarves like there's no tomorrow. These guys are just waiting their final pressing, which I'll do the night before.

One more and then some rag rugs. My rag stash is getting out of control!
Bundle on top is all the threads I missed.
I haven't decided on a weft color for this guy yet. I have a pink, and I have an ochre, which I'm leaning towards. Also haven't decided on a structure, but he's loosely set so plan weave may be the better part of valor. I used a dummy warp, which of course meant that I found a few pages on some fantastic canvas weaves that use a different threading pattern the moment I finished tying all those knots.

Dummy Warps: The Lesser Evil
Dummy warps don't actually save time. Instead of re-slaying and re-heddling, you have to tie a not for every single warp thread. Then you have to carefully wiggle them through the reed and harnesses. But the glory of them is: no heddling. And I hate heddling with a passion. Of course, now I'm stuck with a straight threading when I'd really love a point threading.

Starstitch. Forever.
On the needles I have two shawls. One is a rectangular Laminaria  done in some lovely laceweight I got at the MD Sheep and Wool Festival. I went to the festival instead of graduation, and didn't regret a moment of it.
This isn't pink. This is glory.
I usually prefer pink in eye-searing shades, but this skein won me. It has gold and berries and coral and sherbert and about a million other shades. I'm seriously considering just doing starstich for most of the shawl because it shows off the color so nicely. Then I contemplate just how much starstitch that would be and think better of it.


Stockingette. Forever.
Also on the needles is an Orchid Thief Shawlette. I took out the middle lace pattern in favor of stockingette. I will post the full list of mods as soon as I calculate what my mods are in regards to starting the border lace, and when I start the border lace. I like to keep two different projects going at once that are different enough to keep my interest. Unfortunately both of these are in stages where miles and miles happen of very simple stitches. I might need to start a sock.
I am not making up this color.
Yarn is Hill Farms Border Leicester  dyed by me. It's a delightfully wooly and it has that longwool luminosity that looks so much like silk. That close up picture above is color accurate, I promise you. I'm knitting on 9s and getting a loose stockingette, and I'm fully expecting this wool to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment