Monday, January 30, 2012

Gone Away, Gone Ahead

Marybeth
Spent the weekend spreading my cold germs at the lovely BYM Women's Retreat. A hundred-ish lovely Quaker ladies in the lovely mountains. I brought my stuff to sell and boy did it sell.

Tolly
Quakers are a seriously adorable faith. There wasn't a cash register or shopkeepers or any sort of organization to the craft show part. Just a bunch of tables around the perimeter of the big meeting room covered in stuff. We put out our stuff along with a receipt book, a pen, and a box. That was it! It worked beautifully, although I did have to track down a few people who had written checks with the "to" part blank.  Studies do show that people are more honest if you expect it of them...

Citrus Scarf
All of the these items are now sold. I also sold a bunch that I had never properly photographed. Of course, the weather was helping wool sales conciderably. It was warm for January, but that's a pretty harsh set to begin with. 34ยบ with 50mph winds isn't exactly warm!

This had been going to be a fish. Yay failed class assignments!
I actually sold that shawl twice. Somebody bought it, then decided it was too short, and then almost immediately someone else bought it.

This now belongs to a banjo-playing stand-up comedian.

Of my total sales, I've made .09% of them on Etsy and that accounts for .02% of revenue.  Given the tactile nature of fiber arts it's really no surprise that they sell so much better when potential customers can feel them. At the same time, my Etsy store has paid  for itself - which really isn't hard, they're delightfully cheap - and it does represent a sort of commercial anchor. The shop is always up, whereas festivals are few and far between this time of year.

And at this rate, if there was another craft show tomorrow, I'm not completely sure I could fill a table! Back to the loom for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment