Thursday, November 10, 2011

Clean Start


Some days I wish I could maintain a minimalist workspace. In reality, about half my life happens either on top of my loom or in front of my computer. Since my printer Kahn, so named because of the obvious facility of expressing frustration during paper jams, is being put down today, I cleaned off my desk.

Shit off my desk today:

  • 3 balls of yarn (sock scraps, acrylic worsted, churro singles)
  • 1 felting needle
  • 2 darning needles
  • A half felted doll head which is about as creepy as it sound. Needle felted projects generally shouldn’t be released to the public until completion.
  • 3 books on knitting. Nordic Knitting 31 patterns in the Scandinavian Tradition by Susanne Pagoldh, Brave New Knits by Julie Turjoman, and The New Knitter’s Template by Barry Klein and Laura Bryant.
  • Back up hardrive.. I keep this in a separate room from my computer unless actively backing up like I was last night.  Seeing as how once a tree fell on the house and trashed half of it, I like to hedge my bets.
  • Knock off konad stamping plates (24)
  • Q tips,
  • Nail polish remover,
  • Hand quilting thread. I don’t quilt except in cases of emergencies, but it’s much sturdier then regular sewing thread.
  • 2 sewing needles,
  • Konad nail stamper
  • Kroger plus card
  • Pink organza ribbon
  • 2 crochet hooks (k&h)
  • Student loan paperwork ahhhhh!
  • Friends International Library brochure, covered in notes.
  • 1 pair of earrings
  • 1 #7 dpn.
  • I page of fine sandpaper that I use on my bamboo needles when they get rough.
  • 3 crocs.com coupons
  • 1 weavers guild newsletter
  • 1 dentist checkup reminder
  • 1 Vera Bradley sunglasses case, empty
  • 1 giant washer (no clue)
  • 1 partial phone charger
  • 1 thing of crazy glue
  • Some alternate ear buds for my ear buds (department of redundancy department much?)
  • 1 sandcastle figurine (free in box of tea)
  • 4 stitch markers
  • 1 wacom tablet and accessories
  • 3 hairpins made from bent dpns.
  • 1 #6 needle. I hate straight needles, but this one I use for making sock-size stitch markers.
  • 2 bent nails 1 straight nail
  • 1 rubber band
  • 1 hair tie
  • 5 CDs from high school that shall remain nameless.
  • Another washer
  • A few parts of a water bottle, although curiously not the bottle.
  • One big amethyst magnet holding 3 pins and another washer WTF is with the washers?
  • More scraps of yarn then I care to count
  • 3 gauge swatches, one of which was horribly inaccurate.
  • 1 chopstick,
  • 1 pencil
  • Needle nose pliers
  • One water spritzer, an essential blocking tool.
  • 2 cables to nowhere. USB to some shapes I haven’t seen before which were inexplicably still labeled USB.
  • Another bent nail
  • package of snaps
  • lens cover (Nikon)
  • my thumb drive (FOUND YOU!!!!)
  • Another half felted project, although mercifully less creepy.
  • 1 Derwent colored pencil 
You know, I get the feeling some day I'm going to make a great archeology exhibit. They find my body a thousand years from now buried in some giant glacial mud slide (those happen in Maryland all the time) and they're going to find evidence of everything I did for the past month lying about around me. 

Left is just the bare essentials. A glow in the dark pig wrist rest, a tape measure, eye drops, blank DVDs, nail clippers, my current lace project, plus my current cup of tea. 

RIP Kahn. You served well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment