Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Monday Night is Tangled Skein Night

The pig helps.
I spent most of last year working on my senior weaving project. While ultimately this did allow me to graduate, nine months later I'm still weaving with leftovers from that monstrosity. Literally a monstrosity, I made  two nine foot crocodiles. Thus all the variated warps as I use up small balls from dye experiments. 

Ball-winder's broken. Again.
I have tones of this ochre shade. Color's accurate in the photos. It changes in the light a lot but spends most of its time a luminous copper. I think some of it's going to become a canvas weave scarf or shawl, however wide my warp ends up being. And seeing as it's laceweight, prone to felting, been through about 5 dye baths to get that lovely shade, and then sat skeined in various yarn baskets for the yarn tangling gremlins to play with, winding it is a very slow process.

Figure two episodes of Supernatural for each of those balls.
The pink ball was actually the worst, it had felted pretty badly in the pot. It was also a much earlier dye experiment so I didn't know how to handle the fiber as well. Parts of it were too tangled for me to even spin the swift. I tell myself that even had the ball-winder been working, I wouldn't have been able to use it on these wretches, but that doesn't actually console me much. 

This is practically dayglow in life. 
The pink, combined with a sunshine-y warp, makes a shade of peach that is not really my taste. When I weave to my taste though I end up working for months on a single shade (last fall was turquoise) so I try to mix up what I do. This warp might even be my last variegated one for a while. I have a lot of greens left, but I have them in enough quantity I might knit them, or use them solidly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment