Thursday, November 17, 2011

Averages

Shown with my one successful crochet project.
Day glow scarf is off the loom after far more warp breakages then were really neccisary. I could have woven at least another foot, but I'd already hit 70" and the warps were starting to break two at a time.  Next up will be canvas weave in this lovely ochre color. Either two scarves or a shawl, haven't done the math yet. But the ochre is just a prelude for what is to come.

Also capable of stacking like this. Black magic maybe?
So based on the last three scarves, I've worked out some averages. I weave about thirty inches a day. I plan scarves to be roughly 6 feet long. I make a warp 100 inches, and weave until it becomes difficult or I run out of weft. This work out to two days, heavy on the ish, of weaving. Another day for warping and slaying, and if I have to heddle another day for that. So three days if I have a dummy warp, four days if I don't.

Some tools: Skin Winder, Ball Winder, Bobbin Winder.
I wind bobbins using a drill, although when you call this guy a drill, other drills get upset. He has trouble with drywall. But he's great for bobbins, as long as you have a bobbin-adapter. Which is a pencil. The drill was $30, bobbin winders are often over a hundred dollars, so the price was right. And the pencil was free.
Shown on its side since it can't stand up with a bobbin attached.

Each bobbin holds enough weft for about 10 inches. So I weave about 3 bobbins a day. I also weave standing up. Some times I work the treadles like I'm walking, right foot, left foot, right foot, and so on. Most days I stand on my right foot and use my left until that gets sore, and then switch. Ten inches is about as long as I can weave like that before wanting a break.
My loom shelf.
So it's all so clearly itemized and balanced and lovely. Weave a bobbin, take a break, weave a bobbin, take a break, weave a bobbin, take a break. Repeat tomorrow and the scarf is done! So now I'm going to mix it all up and use a different type of bobbin, a different treddeling pattern, and a different yarn!
These will be used. May god have pity on my retina. 
Don't shoot me orange. Super fine mystery wool laceweight. Canvas weave.

No comments:

Post a Comment